When it comes to food I try focus on a healthy diet that has variation. Your body is essentially a machine that requires fuel in order to work. How do you fuel yours?
1. A mushroom is neither a fruit or a vegetable
2. They are a special type of fungus
3. There are many varieties of mushrooms including, crimini mushrooms, Portobello mushrooms are large and meaty, making them suited to be served as entrees.
4. Cooked mushrooms typically contain more nutrients than raw mushrooms as long as they are lightly cooked
Add mushrooms to salads or with carrots to your favourite hummus dip
Why are they good for you?
They are filled with essential vitamins and minerals
White button mushrooms contain the most vitamin D, with a 1-ounce serving packing 2 percent of your recommend daily intake of the vitamin. Vitamin D is vital for fighting against osteoporosis. Consuming a diet that is high in vitamin D can significantly reduce your chances of developing certain types of cancer, such as colon cancer.
Asparagus is a vegetable
It is harvested in the spring
There are 20 types of edible asparagus, most common is the green asparagus
Contains no cholesterol and is low in sodium
Contains Vitamin K, B folate, C and A
It’s estimated that 4 out of 10 of us (Cancer Research Campaign) will get cancer at some point in our lives and that about 30 per cent of all cancers may be the result of our diet. – Fit day
1. Contains Vitamin C which helps you to produce collagen which leads to healthier looking skin
2. Heals and cleanses the body and is a diuretic which is believed to help detoxify the body getting rid of excess water and combating sufferers of cystitis
3. Contains prebiotics that stimulate the growth of friendly bacteria in the stomach helping with digestion
4. Protects small blood vessels
5. contains vitamin A, folic acid and dietary fibre which help fight against cancer
6. High in soluble fibre which means its effective in fighting against heart disease
7. Low in fat and sodium
1. I tend to cook asparagus by boiling it/ I use an elastic band to hold them all in place whilst cooking.
2. I intend on buying a steamer to steam my vegetables as it is a great way to gain optimal nutrition.
3. Cook asparagus straight away to prevent it going hard
- Fights diseases, such as cancer, heart disease
- Boosts immune system
- Dietary fiber